Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (42)


Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George

The engrossing companion novel to Princess of the Midnight Ball, with a wicked twist on Cinderella.


Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other’s countries in the name of better political alliances—and potential marriages. It’s got the makings of a fairy tale—until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ballgowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way. [summary from Goodreads]

I love retellings, Princess of the Midnight Ball, and Jessica Day George's writing. It's gorgeous and captivating, staying true to the magic of the original fairy tale while spinning a unique angle of its own. In particular, it's a retelling of Cinderella--and I've found that I like most of the Cinderella retellings better than the original tale itself. Looks good to me!

Princess of Glass will be published in hardcover by Bloomsbury on May 25, 2010.

What are YOU waiting for?

11 comments:

  1. I love the summary! Sounds like an interesting twist with a dash of comedy of Cinderella. The cover is lovely. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanor...is that a guy's name?
    lol fairy tale cat fight, that does sound rather awesome XD;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this! It hadn't hit my radar yet, but I think I need this one. Do we really have to wait that long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of these, but I'm definitely picking up the first one, because I love retellings too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squee! I didn't know about this and I'm so excited! And it comes out on my birthday!:) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the summary.
    I'm going to check out the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this book too. I saw the cover a few days ago and it's lovely.

    My pick for this week was The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees: http://rebeccasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/waiting-on-wednesday-fools-girl-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pick! I love Jessica Day George's books. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does look fun! I'm a fan of fairy tale retellings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, the summary sounds great! I liked the Princess of the Midnight Ball, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...